top of page

Ju-87 R-2 Cockpit

Updated: Jun 23, 2023

I started with cutting out all needed parts from the sprues. The I cleaned them up - generally I use UMP Thingy Sanders sticks starting with 240 or 400 grid and finishing with 1200. For hard to get crevices I use properly cut out sandpaper. In case of rounded surface I like to use Flex-I-File tool set. Then I have checked for any circular ejection marks left by the mold extraction process. Fortunately they are mostly located (at least in the cockpit) in places not visible after final assembly. The only exception was cockpit floor - here I had to get rid off two of them. They were quite deep so I filled them with Mr. Dissolved Putty by Mr. Hobby and when dry used sanding paper and fiberglass pencil to smooth the surface.

Next step was to apply photo etched elements. First I checked and sanded out surfaces of the original plastic parts so that PE parts have proper plane to be glued later on. I used Eduard 49894 Ju 87B-2/R2 AIRFIX set. This package contains per-colored parts as well as metal elements which should be painted together with the model. First I primed all metal elements of the set using Tamiya Metal Primer and then cut out needed elements, bent properly and glued according to instructions using cyanoacrylate glue. Last thing before priming was to clean all the parts from any sanding residue - for that I used IPA.

This is the first time I tried One Shot primer from mig- in my opinion they are definitely to thick to use straight from the bottle so I thinned it down with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner and sprayed it using Harder & Steinbeck Evolution Silver-line with 4 mm needle - it worked OK. For the main color I choose Mig acrylic German Grev Beige (A MIG-0028) - again the paint was thinned with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner. After applying main color, next step was to spray some light shading. To do so I added a bit of black to main color, thinned it down considerably and sprayed using Mr.Hobby PS-770 Mr.Airbrush Supreme. Last step was to add a bit of white to the main color and spray from the top on to the internal frames and some parts for the floor.

For the pilot seat and bulkhead container the approach was a bit different - after priming I sprayed Vallejo acrylic Aluminum (77.70!), then mig Scratches Effect fluid and after that main color and shading. Last step was to use stiff brush and water to make scratches.

Next I painted all the details using Vallejo or mig acrylics and finally applied a clear coat using Hobby Color Gloss (H 101). Mean time I build radio station which is installed just behind pilot seat - this was created according to instructions - using PE from Eduard set and an element of original plastic part.

Next I applied washes - I used mig PLW Green Brown and then mig PLW Black Night - after a while I used mig Odourless Thinner and small brush to clean it up where not needed. Then I glued all remaining per-paintend PE parts except for very small once which could be easily lost during further weathering and handling of parts.

Next it was time for some light chipping and scuffing using fine brush and toothpick. For the first stage I used thinned mig Rubber & Tires acrylic paint and for the second base color (German Grev Beige) lightened with white. The same color was then used to further add to the contrast by highlighting raised details. Next I glued bulkhead container and Machine Gun Drum Magazines. Then I added PE seat belts for the gunner seat and glued it as well. At this time pilot seat as well as left internal frame is just dry fitted.

For further weathering effects I used mig Streaking Brushers - Winter Grime, Starship Grime and Medium Brown. I applied them in crevices, internal frames and floor. Additional for the added effect I did light dusting using AK Dust effect and mig nature effects. What is important here is to apply different techniques over different zones - this gives an overall nice appearance. When that was done I applied another clear coat layer - this time flat mat - that prepared all surface for final scuffing and chipping using AK-Interactive weathering pencils. Next I applied final very thin clear coat - semi gloss. Last step was to use pigments in some places - I used mig Light Dust, Airfield Dust and Gun Metal. At there very end I glued all the remaining smallest PE parts and the cockpit is ready.

Stay tuned for next updates. Till then!

277 views0 comments


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page